Friday, February 12, 2010

We’re from the Government and We’re Here to Help You

I received an invitation from the government the other day telling me that I could now enroll in Medicare. First of all how did they know it was my birthday and how did they know that I was going to be 65 years old? It’s easy; it’s called your Federal Income tax return. But what I really don’t understand is how more than fifty insurance companies had the same information because within days I had received offers to provide “Medigap” insurance for me from all of them. One of them actually listed twelve different plans I could choose from. Talk about confusing. Now to make things worse I am still covered by the insurance plan offered through my employer. So I called the Social Security Administration and asked if they could explain my Medicare options. They said they would be happy to send me a guide that would explain everything. In a few days I received a 300 page book written in government speak that by the time I had finished reading it I was more confused than ever. Now that I am officially a senior citizen, I don’t think that they should be allowed to treat old people this way. Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid and Long Term Care can be some of the most confusing programs you will ever encounter. There is hope, however. Quickfinder has recently released a guide that has helped me make sense of these programs. The new Social Security and Medicare Quickfinder Handbook provides a wealth of information about these very complex and confusing programs. See for yourself; just click the following link. http://www.quickfinder.com/tax_products/tax_planning_personal_finance/social_security_medicare.prdx

No comments:

Post a Comment